I make this recipe to go with just about anything. When you have a family with food allergies it’s nice to keep some flavorful side dish ingredients available in the pantry as kitchen staples. I always have brown rice, jasmine rice, my favorite chicken stock (because momma doesn’t have time to make her own – don’t judge), and garlic and onions in the pantry. Some day I’ll show you my pantry, but for now here’s my go-to starch side dish to go with just about any entree. It’s full of flavor, vitamins and minerals, and there’s a long (healthier) version and a short version. Enjoy!
Easy Rice Pilaf
Recipe [easy], Time [20 min], Serves [6-8]S
Special tools recommended: Medium-large pot with lid, wooden spoon, cutting board, chef’s knife
- 1/2 medium Spanish Onion, diced small
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups Jasmine White Rice*
- 4 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Salt (optional)
- Warm up your pot on medium heat and add oil.
- Add onion sauté (cook) until clear and tender.
- Add garlic and sauté for just a minute or two (keep stirring or it may burn)
- Add rice and stir to coat in oil.
- Add chicken stock, salt and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low (simmer, or just a few bubbles visible) and cover with lid.
- Simmer 15 minutes on low.
- Remove from heat and uncover. Fluff rice gently with spoon. Taste and season with more salt or choice of fresh herbs if desired. Set aside with lid on until ready to serve.
- Store in refrigerator covered for up to 5 days.
*If using a different style of rice from jasmine, follow package instructions for liquid quantity and cooking time. All other ingredients can remain the same.
*Brown rice is a healthier option and tastes delicious too. Change liquid/rice ratio and cooking time based on package instructions (everything else can stay the same). Plan ahead because brown rice usually takes up to 45 minutes to cook.
Did you make this rice recipe? Do you prefer it with brown rice or the jasmine rice? What entree did you accompany with it?